Monday, May 10, 2010

THIRUKURAL 50 : On Divine People

Thirukkural on Divine People

Before coming to US, in Feb 2010,  I underwent  all the  medical checkups at Bangalore. On 11th Feb , I went to consult my cardiologist , I went in an auto. The auto driver about thirty years old muslim boy deviated from the main road and took me to a narrow street and stopped in front of a old house  and told me to wait for a few minutes.

He did not return for quite a long time, I became restless, he came after nearly half an hour, pleaded guilty and regretted for the inconvience caused. While travelling,  he started speaking to me. 

" Sir, you should parden  me, my intention is not to make you wait for a long period, unfortunately I have to attend my wife who is polio affected and bedridden, she had dirted her clothes, I had to clean and wash, It took me time, exremely sorry sir."

"Since how long she is disabled ? "
"From childhood sir, I married her disabled "
"Is she related to you ? "
"No sir, willingly I married her, I had taken her to many hospitals but no use."
"Why not you try some artificial limbs and make her walk ? "
"Tried sir, it did not help, none of her relatives are helpful, my father is there. my mother died long back, my father,  at this age of 70 works 'here and there'  as a daily wager, maintains himself, helps me ' now and then' , goes in the morning and returns very late, perhaps he does not want to be an additional burden to me."
"Why did you marry a totally disabled lady ?"
"My father was the  instrumental to it. He told me that the human life is short, we are not going to take any thing when we die, we must  always do something good in this world, marry this girl, give her LIFE, be good to her through out your life."
" A good man ."
" I simply agreed with him and came forward to marry her, she has two brothers, no parents, during marriage time, which was very very simple, her brothers were  too good to me, I was next God  to them."
"Now are they not helpful ?  "
"Both are married and having children- daily wagers- they have their own problems, I do not blame them , world is like this, Some times they come in the name of seeing their sister but ask me some money, their condition is like  that . they cannot be blamed."
I told him, 
"For me you are a  great soul, you are a real human, God will definitely bless you"
"If God gives me good income every day, it is enough Sir, I can maintain my wife till my death " 
"Till your death or her death ? "
"My death, I can not tolerate her death Sir , She is a nice women , She had never blamed anybody in her life , not even she had  blamed God for her disability. Many people advise me to go for another marrage which  is allowed in our Muslim community but I will never . If I am disabled like her, will she go for another husband ? tell me Sir ?"

The auto reached the destination, the auto fare reading was  Rs 45/- I gave a 100/-  currency and simply walked  fast with a  HEAVY HEART., he was calling me to receive the change.

Thiruvalluvar  speaks of  ideal   people like  this  auto driver  in the  Kural  50. They will find place in heaven, they will be placed in God.

"A person who lives an ideal life in this world 
  Will be placed in God  dwelling  in  heaven". (Kural  50 )

In Tamil:

வையத்துள் வாழ்வாங்கு வாழ்பவன் வான்உறையும்
தெய்வத்துள் வைக்கப் படும். (50)
=========================== 
COMMENTS

I read the true story, even in this Kaliyuka , we do see people like him, God bless him.
Nirmala Velu, Houston,  USA

This is very touching , I am sure we are blessed to even meet such people and talk to them. To me the auto guy's dad is like God.  
Lakshmi Nehru, CISCO , USA

Very much touched and motivated by the auto driver.What a great person he is. We are so fortunate to have a comfortable life and still complaining of something  or other. More over life is short, we have to do some yeoman service and help the needy. 
Shyam Medobos , IBM, USA

Very powerful  message via equally engaging a true story, your way of narrating stories both verbal and written is remarkable.We have been always blessed to have your company. Hope younger generation become good human beings when they grow. Your message will definitly be  propagated down stream  and practice them daily in whatever form possible. 
Sandeep, IBM,  Bangalore. 

This story really calls out aspects of humaneness and selflessness lost amidst the chaos and materialism of daily life.It means so much to praise for a moment and look through what you have and what many had deprived of .Let us atleast make an effort to reach out to the needy in our own  ways and help a few smiles every.Our children sure could carry this as a lesson of sharing their joy with those in need.
I am touched by the sacrifice  of this man.
Prem Vishwanathan , Satyam, USA       

People like the auto drivers are like ,"Angels" in our lives, God sends these people into our lives, so that we can appreciate the abundance blessings we have and learn to share our blessings with others.I guess that is why God sends these angels our way often.
Rosy P Devasagayam, Dallas, US

============================

1 Comments:

Blogger VikramTN said...

Very touching incident. No word can applaud such people - they don't know meaning of 'self'!

September 17, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home